« Back to Blog
Recall Roll Call: September, 2022
Recalls happen more often than you may think. Knowing the products that could be dangerous can help you stay safe. Here’s a quick recap of the major recalls for September 2022.
Accompany USA Ceramic Mugs with Cork Bottoms
These ceramic mugs can crack when hot liquid is poured into them, posing a burn hazard. No injuries have been reported.
- Units affected: 25,000
- Sold: Online at www.accompanyusa.com, https://logomark.com, www.vision1usa.com, https://nccustom.com/brand/lanco, https://infinityiwc.square.site, and https://admartproducts.com from February 2022 through June 2022.
- For more information: http://accompanyusa.com/About.aspx?ClassID=27 or (909) 595-0178
Hearing Lab Technology/Lucid Audio Children’s HearMuffs
The AAA batteries in the compression earmuffs can rupture, posing a burn risk. The batteries also can become a projectile. No injuries have been reported.
- Units affected: 31,150
- Sold: Sam’s Club, Kroger and other stores nationwide and online at www.samsclub.com and www.kroger.com from January 2018 through December 2021.
- For more information: https://www.recallrtr.com/hearmuffs or (833) 408-0479
Roots & Harvest Wide Mouth Pint Canning Jars
The jars can have pieces of glass that can pose a laceration hazard. No injuries have been reported.
- Units affected: 15,900
- Sold: Orscheln Farm & Home stores in the Midwest during July 2022.
- For more information: https://www.lemproducts.com/product_recalls or (877) 536-7763
Spalding Momentous EZ Portable Basketball Goals
The welding that attaches the backboard to the pole can fail, causing the backboard to fall. There have been 26 reports of weld failures, 3 reports of backboards detaching, and 2 reported injuries.
- Units affected: 13,400
- Sold: Academy and Scheels stores nationwide and online at Spalding.com and Amazon.com from May 2021 through April 2022.
- For more information: http://www.spalding.com/recall.html or (800) 558-5234
Sun Joe Cordless Lawn Mowers
The mower blade can detach unexpectedly, posing a laceration hazard. There have been 31 reports of the blade or bolt detaching, but no injuries have been reported.
- Units affected: 26,300
- Sold: Online at www.amazon.com, www.homedepot.com, www.walmart.com and www.snowjoe.com and in hardware, electronics and department stores nationwide from June 2020 through July 2022.
- For more information: https://snowjoe.com/24v-x2-17lm-recall or (800) 641-2917
Thyssenkrupp Access Corp. Residential Elevators
Children can be trapped in the space between the exterior door and the elevator car door. If the elevator is called to another floor, serious injury or death could result. A 2-year-old died and a 3-year-old was permanently disabled.
- Units affected: 16,800
- Sold: The home elevators were sold under a variety of model names, including Chaparral, Destiny, LEV, LEV II, LEV II Builder, Rise, Volant, Windsor, Independence, and Flexi-Lift that TKA manufactured and sold to dealers for installation between 1996 and 2012.
- For more information: https://homelevator-safety.com or (800) 285-9862
UPPAbaby RIDGE Jogging Strollers
The stroller’s rear disc brakes have openings where tiny fingers can get caught, posing an amputation risk. The company has received one report of a fingertip amputation affecting a child who was not in the stroller while it was in use.
- Units affected: 14,400
- Sold: BuyBuyBaby, Nordstrom, Neiman Marcus, Pottery Barn Kids and other specialty stores nationwide and online at Amazon.com from October 2021 through August 2022
- For more information: http://www.uppababy.com/ridge/disc-brakes/ or (844) 823-3132
To see additional recalls by the Food and Drug Administration, click here.
Life-changing injuries and tragedies occur due to risky ingredients and errors made by manufacturers. If you have a question about what you believe may be a harmful or faulty product that may have caused injury, it may help to speak with a leading Philadelphia product liability attorney.