Motor Vehicle Accidents
Motor vehicle accidents cause thousands of deaths and hundreds of thousands of injuries every year and carry the potential for both criminal and civil liability. While the state may only prosecute if someone is killed or if alcohol was involved, the lack of state prosecution does not affect the ability to pursue a civil case.
Motor vehicle accidents can be caused due to unsafe driving, bad road conditions, driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol, and automobiles with faulty or defective parts. A victim and/or his/her dependants are entitled to monetary compensation when injured by an automobile accident and may receive punitive damages in appropriate circumstances.
- In Lewis, Duffy + Partners represented a Philadelphia doctor in a five-week trial where a jury awarded $15,700,000 to the doctor and occupants of a car she had rented after an accident stripped her of the use of her left arm and her medical practice. Attorneys for a Toyota dealer under contract to provide maintenance on the vehicle argued that the client had been speeding and the car hydroplaned, but the firm prevailed in persuading jurors that it was mechanical failure due to faulty maintenance and service. The verdict was later affirmed by the PA Superior Court, then challenged and upheld in PA Supreme Court resulting in a recovery of over $19,500,000 with interest.
- In Whittlesey, Duffy + Partners obtained a $12,000,000 settlement for client Terry Whittlesey, a young man who, while a passenger in a car on his way to a vacation, was rear-ended by a commercial truck. The trucking company denied all fault associated with the accident and only agreed to the settlement after jury selection was completed and the trial was about to begin. The settlement, which was reported as one of the largest verdicts in the state that year, enabled Mr. Whittlesey to move from a trailer into a home that was specially-constructed to accommodate his ongoing physical needs.
- In Nalls, Duffy + Partners secured a $2,650,000 settlement for a young off-duty police officer who was forced off the job by injuries he received when the driver of an automobile hit him on his motorcycle, causing injuries to his face, arm and leg.
- In Duffy, Duffy + Partners obtained a $1,900,000 verdict for John Duffy, an insurance salesman, who suffered a broken hip following a motor vehicle collision with a police cruiser. The police officer contended he was in a high-speed pursuit of another vehicle, which simply did not pan out to be accurate based upon the police tapes.
- In Pakuris, Duffy + Partners obtained a $1,550,000 verdict for a veteran Philadelphia attorney who suffered a torn rotator cuff following a motor vehicle accident in Media. The attorney sought the assistance of Duffy + Partners for the handling of his claim against the defense driver. The defendant contended that the insignificant impact could not have caused the total disruption of Mr. Pakuris’ rotator cuff. Duffy + Partners was successful in having the defendant’s biomechanical engineer precluded from testifying based upon research against the expert that Duffy + Partners had located in other States.
- In Koppel-Klein, Duffy + Partners obtained a $1,500,000 settlement for a woman whose car was broadsided by an off duty ambulance that ran a red light. She suffered multiple injuries, including a brachial plexus injury, in addition to anxiety while driving since the accident. She was self-employed and did not maintain a wage loss claim.
- In Zook, Duffy + Partners secured a $1,300,000 settlement for a man who was rear-ended while stopped at a red light, but whose car sustained little property damage. He claimed multiple injuries, including a herniated disc. Defense experts suggested that the driver who rear-ended the client was going too slow to cause such injuries and that the client’s golf game did more to hurt his back than the accident did. He suffers from ongoing pain and limitations.