Brachial Plexus & Erb's Palsy in Philadelphia
Sometimes confused with cerebral palsy, Erb's palsy (also known as brachial plexus palsy) is the result of injury to a group of nerves surrounding the shoulder (the brachial plexus). It affects approximately one or two babies out of a thousand births. Causes of Erb's palsy are often related to difficult deliveries, such as the following:
- During breech births, when the raised arms can be injured due to excess pressure
- Excessive traction applied to the baby’s shoulders during delivery
- When the baby’s head is drawn to one side as the shoulders exit the birth canal
In Philadelphia hospitals with good care many of these cases, including those caused due to larger than average babies, are avoidable. Erb's palsy cases should be referred to an experienced Philadelphia birth injury lawyer to determine if a case deserves compensation for what could be a lifetime of disability.
Brachial plexus and Erb's palsy litigation
Victims of Erb's palsy need to recognize the symptoms and possible causes of this often life-altering affliction. The following are important factors to consider:
- Since the brachial plexus affects arm movement, an afflicted individual is likely to have difficulty moving the arm or using the hand.
- Caused by injury during birth, brachial plexus injury can often be diagnosed immediately, but the extent of the injury may not be known for months after birth.
- While some cases caused by stretching of the nerve can heal in a year or less, many complications, such as the development of scar tissue around the nerve or torn nerves can cause permanent damage.
How Our Philadelphia attorneys can help
Whether your child will eventually achieve a full recovery or be affected for a lifetime, you will incur potentially extensive expenses for medical treatment and therapy. And, your child may face difficulties for the rest of his or her life, potentially affecting future employment possibilities and continued need for physical or even psychological therapy. It makes sense to seek local legal advice and assistance to determine if you need to file an Erb's palsy lawsuit to gain the compensation your child deserves.
The dedicated and experienced birth injury attorneys at Duffy + Fulginiti in Philadelphia provide the compassionate support needed to handle cases of brachial plexus palsy, and we have achieved birth injury settlements of over $20 million for families affected by birth injuries. We have a panel of medical experts to build a strong case, and a network of professionals to provide advice and support to help you handle all your child's special needs. Contact us online today or call 215.238.8700. Let’s talk about your special situation and determine if we can help make a better life for you and your child.