Supporting the Community
Duffy + Partners is committed to making a difference in the City of Philadelphia through its work on behalf of the catastrophically injured and also through service to many charitable organizations.
The largest and most prestigious of these efforts is the Duffy Fellowship, established in 2012 by Tom Duffy. Through the Duffy Fellowship, some of the city's poorest residents receive help to tackle problems from unsafe housing and living conditions to children’s health issues and income insecurity.
The Duffy Fellowship underwrites a staff attorney's full-time salary at some of the area's foremost legal service nonprofit organizations. The 2013-2014 receipients include:
- The Legal Clinic for the Disabled, where the Medical Legal Partnership attorney at St. Christopher's Hospital for Children works with the hospital's medical staff to identify and address hardships negatively affecting patients' health.
- Community Legal Services, where a staff attorney in the Public Benefits Unit helps poverty-level Philadelphians navigate public benefits such as cash assistance, SSI disability, food stamps, or health insurance.
- The Homeless Advocacy Project, an organization that has provided $50.5 million in free legal service to over 35,300 homeless individuals in Philadelphia since its founding in 1990.
Some of the other local organizations that have also benefitted from the firm's contributions include:
- AJC/Global Jewish Advocacy
- The Buoniconti Fund
- Boy Scouts of America, Garden State Council
- The Canuso Foundation
- Cardinal O'Hara High School
- HelpHOPELive (formerly NTAF/The National Transplant Assistance Fund)
- The Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania
- The Katie Samson Foundation
- Magee Rehabilitation
- Nazareth Academy
- The PA Innocence Project
- The Peggy Browning Fund
- Roman Catholic High School
- United Cerebral Palsy
- VIP Philadelphia
- Variety Club of Philadelphia
...and many more.