Thomas J. Duffy
Tom Duffy oversees all cases handled by the attorneys of the firm, which include medical malpractice, birth injury, product liability, motor vehicle/trucking accidents, aviation disasters, construction accidents, premises liability and personal injury.
Tom founded the firm over a quarter of a century ago, when he left a promising career at a large Philadelphia firm to establish his own practice, a practice that has developed into a very experienced and respected group of partners and staff with one singular focus—helping individuals and families who are the victims of catastrophic injury.
Tom is annually included in a number of attorney ranking publications and lists, including:
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100
- Best Lawyers in America
- Super Lawyers
- Top 100 Attorneys in Philadelphia/Top 100 Attorneys in Pennsylvania
- Irish Legal 100
He has also been recognized for his high professional legal standards and ethics, rated "AV" by LexisNexis Martindale Hubbell, and listed in LexisNexis Martindale Hubbell’s Bar Register of Preeminent lawyers.
A respected attorney in his field who has successfully argued before the Pennsylvania Supreme Court, Tom is the author of "Legal Aspects of Pain and Suffering, The Plaintiff Attorney's Perspective" and is a lecturer who has given many educational presentations on trial practice.
Tom also dedicates thousands of hours to a number of charitable causes, including Magee Rehabilitation Hospital Foundation (he is a member of the Board of Trustees and was honored with the Magee "Champion in this Community" award in 2009), the Irish American Cultural Institute of Philadelphia, HelpHOPELive (formerly NTAF) and the Homeless Advocacy Project. In 2012, Tom established the prestigious “Duffy Fellowship,” that provides funds to underwrite a staff attorney at several legal service organizations in Philadelphia, including the Legal Clinic for the Disabled, Community Legal Services, and the Homeless Advocacy Project. In 2014 the Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania recognized the work of the Duffy Fellow in the Philadelphia Latino community by honoring Tom Duffy with the prestigious “La Justicia" award.
Outside of the office, Tom is a licensed and skilled commercial pilot (multi-engine, land, sea, instrument, Corsair, B-25, P47, Spitfire and TBM type certificates) who participates annually in air shows all over the country, such as the Atlantic City Airshow, the Mid Atlantic Air Museum’s World War II Weekend, the Millville Air Museum’s Annual Fly-In, the Doolittle Raiders reunion and many other aviation celebrations. In 2009, he took part in a special ceremony to open the Indianapolis 500, soaring over the speedway in his vintage B-25 Mitchell Bomber “Take Off Time” during the singing of the “Star Spangled Banner” as the crowd of spectators roared.
- Marist College: B.A., cum laude, 1975
- Temple University: J.D., 1981
- Pennsylvania 1981
- New Jersey 1981
- U.S. District Court, Eastern and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania 1982
- U.S. District Court, District of New Jersey 1982
- U.S. Court of Appeals, Third Circuit 1982
Awards and Honors:
- Member, National Trial Lawyers Top 100: 2011-Present
- Selected for inclusion in The Best Lawyers in America: 2003-Present
- Selected for inclusion in Super Lawyers: 2004-Present
- Irish Legal 100
- Magee Rehabilitation Hospital “Champion of the Community,” 2009
- National Transplant Assistance Fund (NTAF) “Community Hero,” 2010
- Hispanic Bar Association of Pennsylvania “La Justicia” Award Recipient, 2014
- International Academy of Trial Lawyers: Fellow
- American Association for Justice
- American Bar Association
- American College of Trial Lawyers: Fellow
- Lawyer Pilots Association
- Supreme Court of Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board Hearing Committee: Chairman
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Association For Justice: Champion of Justice
- Philadelphia Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Foundation : Advocates of Justice
- Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association: Secretary, Board of Directors, President (2012-2013)
- Temple University Academy of Trial Advocacy: Faculty
- New Jersey State Bar Association
- New Jersey Association For Justice
Recent Speaking Engagements:
- "The Subtle and Not So Subtle Approaches to Damages,” Philadelphia Trial Lawyers Association (October, 2014)
- Stars of the Bar,” Pennsylvania Association for Justice (April, 2014)
- “Medical Malpractice Update,” Philadelphia Bar Association Medical Legal Committee (July , 2012)
- “Mongo and Duffy: How to win, case selection to closings,” Pennsylvania Association for Justice (March, 2012)